Well. This week was nothing if not consistent.
It was a three-star week…and those stars consisted of reading and dabbling in Japanese.
Because sometimes, that’s just how the week goes, and then the week ends before you realize it.
That’s why we have calendars and stickers. To shame us into doing better next week.
- Gold – 1 hr revision (WEEK TOTAL: 0 hrs)
- Blue – draft 500 new words (WEEK TOTAL: 0 words)
- Green – read 100 pages (WEEK TOTAL: 1,100 pages)
- Red – 1/2 hr studying Japanese (WEEK TOTAL: 6 hrs)
- Silver – blog post (WEEK TOTAL: 1)
- NOT PICTURED – I’m tracking exercise and adult-like responsibilities in a separate baby-sized calendar also courtesy of Easter Seals.(WEEK TOTAL FOR EXERCISE: 2 times).
Points of Note:
- Green Star Reads for this week: I’ve lapsed in the whole “circle the star when I finish something” thing, but I want to get back to it. This week, I finished THE SCORPION RULES, by Erin Bow (Loved it! Setting, Characters, worldbuilding, AI, goats… I definitely rec it), and continued shamelessly counting the textbook for my online class. I also read JIM HENSON’S RETURN TO LABYRINTH (a pretty awful manga version starring Toby, who was frankly less pathetic as a kidnapped infant. Don’t let the cover fool you. I only stuck with it in honor of Bowie, may he rest in peace–I actually checked it out before his death, which was…odd). Normally I don’t count manga because it’s like junk food to me and would totally skew my ratios… But this adaptation wasn’t on the site where I track manga, so I’m allowing it on my official book list. I zipped through DAUGHTER OF DEEP SILENCE, by Carrie Ryan (Fine, but I wanted to like it more than I did, especially after seeing Carrie Ryan in person at Anderson’s YA Lit Con in Chicago last semester… I just wasn’t 100% hooked the whole way through?). And finally, I’m about 200 pages into SERPENTINE, by Cindy Pon (Another author I admire from afar, but…this and SILVER PHOENIX just haven’t done it for me. I want to like, but I’m just not quite swept up). This lightning review section keeps getting longer and longer… Maybe next week I’ll try setting things up a different way, starting with the books I’ve been reading — which, let’s be honest, is the most interesting part of this post anyway — and wrapping up with an account of my sticker progress.
- SOUNDTRACK OF THE WEEK: I’ve had three anime openings on repeat for most of the last few days. Re: Re: by Asian Kung-Fu Generation (from Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, which I’m loving). The third opening from Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Assassination Classroom). And One-me Two-hearts (or however that’s punctuated) by Hitorie, from Divine Gate (an anime I’m not really loving, but that song <3). Currently though, I’ve got my happiest/angriest playlist on, which basically consists of melodic yelling. It’s just one of those nights.
- X-FILES UPDATE: I know I said I was going to write a sum-up kind of post regarding my X-Files experience, but I decided that might be better after the revival finishes airing. So. Look forward to that!
- Go-to method of procrastination: Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Anime, manga, as ever. I also cooked for the Mulder clan, which took way longer than expected.
Thanks for reading, especially as I try to iron out what’s working from week to week, and how I want this whole blogging thing to go.