The strangest part of this week is, I’ve been going to bed at normal, human times for the last week or so. Tiring at 9-ish. Getting in bed somewhere around midnight. Getting like five consecutive hours of sleep before workout group at 5 AM. It hasn’t been unpleasant, exactly, but it is quite disorienting considering my reputation as a ridiculous night owl who does her best work in the wee hours of the morning. I’m as bewildered as you are.
Related: I worked out a whopping five times this week, and during one of these workouts I found myself traveling through an ashy plain, an acrid-sweet, cindery smell on the wind. Unfortunately, this ashy plain was not terribly photogenic.
Green Star Reads for this week:
Finished ZEROES, by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti. Last week, I forgot Westerfeld’s coauthors, entirely because he’s one of my favorites so I saw his name and glazed over for a while there. Anyway, I really liked ZEROES. Channeled all my love for Static Shock, Teen Titans, and other super-hero-y media. Loved figuring out the implications of all the characters’ powers, all the rules in this particular story world.
I also finally finished the writing book I borrowed from my mom: REVISION AND SELF-EDITING, by James Scott Bell. The rest of the title is “Techniques for transforming your first draft into a finished novel,” but the majority of the book was honestly still aimed at writing first drafts… Still, good information, some great exercises. It was a good read.
Last, I started SAVING FRANCESCA, by Melina Marchetta. I really liked FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK and loved JELLICOE ROAD, so I’m looking forward to this one, especially since the love interest already has me alternating coy, knowing smiles with offended huffs. Who knows if I’ll love him or hate him by the end of the book, but either way, feels like I’m in for a ride.
- Soundtrack of the Week: Pretty much defaulted to all my favorited songs on Spotify this week, along with several hours of the “Mermaids” track from PotC 4 soundtrack as I revised a short story about Sirens.
- Go-to method of procrastination: TV, running outside in the last few days. Other than that, the usual.
- Blue – 1/2 hr revision(WEEK TOTAL: 5 & 1/2 hrs)
- Silver – draft 500 new words (WEEK TOTAL: 1,000 words)
- Green – read 100 pages(WEEK TOTAL: 700 pages)
- Gold – 1/2 hr studying Japanese (WEEK TOTAL: 6 & 1/2 hrs)
- Red – blog post (WEEK TOTAL: 1)
- NOT PICTURED – I’m tracking exercise and adult-like responsibilities in a separate baby-sized calendar also courtesy of Easter Seals.(WEEK TOTAL FOR EXERCISE: 5 times).
- TOTAL STICKERS: 34
Points of Note:
- Let me just emphasize, I worked out every weekday this week. Twice, I walked/ran outside for more than an hour.
- Am I even still doing Camp ReviseNoWriMo? Who knows? Not me. It ain’t going well.
- I’m still burning through blue stickers at a disproportionate rate. Send help.
- All in all this was not a fab week for sticker-earning.
Judging by my current level of tiredness, this “normal” sleep schedule may stick around for at least another night or two, so, we’ll see. All I ask is that if I slip into a hibernative state, someone comes to wake me up before my college graduation ceremony starts.
Thanks for reading,